In India, 1 student dies of suicide every hour. The prime reason behind this is the lack of #awareness regarding 'mental health' and empathy towards people who are dealing with mental illness.
Everyone has mental health, just like everyone has health. As the World Health Organization famously says, “There is no health without mental health.” Mental health is as important as physical health for our general well-being.
In the course of a lifetime, not all people will experience a #mentalillness, but everyone will struggle or have a challenge with their mental well-being (i.e., their mental health) just like we all have challenges with our physical well-being from time to time.
September 6-12 is observed as Suicide Prevention Week. It is an annual week-long campaign to inform and engage #health professionals and the general public about suicide prevention and warning signs of suicide. Let's join hands to support #MentalHealth, #MentalWellness and extend a helping hand towards someone who is #suicidal. #awareness#mentalillness#health#MentalHealth#MentalWellness#suicidal
Posted On:12 Sep 2020 1:08 PM
When someone you know is feeling #suicidal, you might not know what to do. Most often, you might not even understand that they are feeling something like that. Learning the warning signs becomes extremely important in that case. Watch carefully:
- Are they talking about #suicide every now and then? Are they using phrases like "Wish I were not alive" regularly?
- Is he/ she avoiding social contacts and gatherings and preferring to stay alone all the time?
- Is he/ she having frequent mood swings and #emotional outbursts?
- Are they getting dependent on drugs and alcohol?
- Saying goodbye or giving good bye hugs as if they won't be seen again.
- Are their eating, sleeping, working routines getting disturbed recently?
- Is he/ she constantly missing the presence of any particular person?
What you can do?
- Be kind and patient with the person.
- Don't leave the person alone.
- Try to find if the person has gone through a hard time recently.
- Try to manage the contact numbers of close family members and friends and speak to them.
- Seek professional help.
- Don't make them feel low or guilty that they are having negative thoughts.
If you want to be of someone's help, leave this in comment so that others can know:
I AM HERE TO TALK. I AM HERE TO LISTEN. I AM HERE FOR YOU.
#mantalhealth #mentalwellbeing #mentalwellness #mentalhealthmatters #suicide #suicideprevention #letstalk #suicidal#suicide#emotional#mantalhealth#mentalwellbeing#mentalwellness#mentalhealthmatters#suicideprevention#letstalk